1.5km (.93 miles) Swim 40km (25 miles) Bike 10km (6.2 miles) Run 20km (12 miles) Bike 5km (3.1 miles) Run. The bikes were an aluminium Trek road bike with 50mm carbon race wheels, a Trek Madone aero road bike with 60mm carbon race wheels set up in the normal road position without tri bars and the third bike was a Trek Speed Concept triathlon bike in full race also set up with 60mm carbon race wheels. If we break down the average sprint triathlon time, this should take the novice triathlete around 2 minutes per 100 m in the swim. Adam Pretty/Getty Images Sport /Getty Images. As a rough guide, your half-Ironman pace would likely be around 5–8 seconds per 100 slower than your 400 time for beginner to intermediate level athletes. Based on Ironman finisher data averaged across a five-year span (2015-2019), we were able to calculate average Ironman finisher times across both male and female age groupers and professionals, including average times in the swim, bike, run, and both transition. Half-Ironman or 70.3 triathlon distances entail swimming 1.2 miles (1.9 kilometers), cycling 56 miles (90 kilometers), and running 13.1 miles (21.09 kilometers), or a half marathon. Ironman, the primary governing body of this triathlon distance, also has holds 70.3 events, or half-Ironman races that are exactly 50% the distance of full Ironman lengths mentioned above. 1 hour for the bike leg, and up to 30 minutes to complete the run. Males. The average sprint triathlon times will vary dependent on the shape and fitness level of each individual triathlete but many fall around the same category. And why not try doing a triathlon … Each athlete’s cumulative race time is calculated based … The 39th Ironman World Championships takes place on the 8th of October 2016. Depending on elevation and conditions, a sprint distance triathlon might take around 1 hour or less for pros, while Ironman distance triathlons usually finish between 8 and 10 hours for elite-caliber triathletes. Factor-in family, work, and other life demands, and time allocation for Ironman training can be a difficult balancing act. Working with an Ironman coach can not only be helpful for motivation and accountability but also providing structured training plans that are custom-programmed to an athlete’s goals, skill level, and lifestyle. If you're a beginner or want to beat your old time, train hard and smart. Know your way around: You should know the triathlon transition area like the back of your hand, so do a pre-race walk-through from the swim exit to where your bike is racked. The average middle lady swims at 2.09/100m or an Ironman and at 2.12/100m for a 70.3. Such speeds also point to other top-performing Olympic distance pros like Javier Gómez and Alistair Brownlee who have entered the Iron-distance scene with great success. Broken down by discipline, on the Men’s side this works out to a swim time of 38:51, a bike time of 2:54:38, and a run time of 2:04:16. Your bike must be in good working condition with your bike race number properly attached. See below for a breakdown of average Half Ironman times by Gender and by Age Group. TRAINING – Get use to your bike and train for at least 15 times the distance of your bike ride within the last 8-10 weeks. It is interesting that average pace of a … What are average triathlon times? The bike section of an Olympic triathlon involves a 25 mile or 40km cycle time trial. This bike comes with a Fizik saddle, Profile aerobars, and Canyon’s high-quality finishing components really push this bike to the top. In other words, building endurance, efficiency, and strength can offer greater rewards for new athletes versus focusing on speedwork and intensity. The average triathlete looking for a good average sprint triathlon time would expect a finishing time of 1 hour 15 minutes. TdUbS-22. Sprint Triathlon Distance. On Average Full Ironman paces are faster than 70.3 paces. But, that is highly driven by starts, stops, and turns. Alternating a common yardstick for 'good' is sub 2.20, overall time, depending on swim and run you looking at 1.00-1.10 bike. Age-grouper times: When competing in a standard distance triathlon, anything under 3hrs would be a very solid time for an amateur. While most beginners start with sprint triathlons, the life of most passionate triathletes will eventually test the waters with Olympic and long-course triathlons. The major difference between the triathlon bike and the traditional road bike lies in the geometry of the bicycle frame. ... (1’19” / average 100m), this time … For a novice tri-athlete, it will take about 2:00 minutes per 100 meters for the swim, or 8 minutes total, about an hour for the bike (avg 12mph) and 30 minutes or so for the run. It depends on who shows up, conditions, etc. ballyard7 - 2009-05-18 9:04 AM. The Average Speed of an Ironman Bike Race. But for top age groupers, Olympic distance triathlon times typically range between 2 and 2 ½ hours. Toss in 5 minutes for each transition and you are looking around 1 hour 50 minutes to 2 hours. Right now, swimming is my weakest and I am sure I would be at a +45 min swim leg. 20k Bike (12 miles) 5k Run (3.1 miles) The average sprint triathlon times will vary dependent on the shape and fitness level of each individual triathlete but many fall around the same category. Which is around the average time of a good sprint distance triathlete. But the overall finishing time highly depends on the difficulty of the course. I'm a 22 year old female in good shape, and I'm curious what I should be aiming for when I practice. Average Water Temperature: 71 … The answer, based on our analysis of more than 75 triathlons: about 3 hours, on average. Half-Ironman’s are also called “70.3” races based on the combined mileage for all three disciplines (full-Ironman distance is 140.6 miles). On the professional level, half-Ironman distance triathlons fringe on near sprint distance speeds. Fast cyclists and runners will often regain tremendous ground, even with a mediocre swim. Coming out of the water early is also important, so learning to become an efficient swimmer is vital to becoming a better triathlete. Total: 140.6 miles (225.995km) Swim: 2.4 mile swim (3.8km) Bike: 112 mile (180km) Run: 26.2 marathon (42.195km) RELATED: Difference Between Triathlon Wetsuits & Surf Wetsuits? What equipment is mandatory for the bike section? Allocating time early in the season to cultivate endurance, build strength, and prevent injury is important for athletes of all skill levels. But you can expect athletes to produce a much faster time across the Olympic distance. I’ll say that I can average 7:12 per mile. Training ride on winter training bike – 24-27 km/h; Training ride in summer – 28 – 30 km/h Any bike you're currently riding will work just fine. Average female 70.3 finish times overall. – UPDATED 2021 – How Accurate Is It? Doing so will help you get closer to a good sprint triathlon time of 1hr 15 minutes. In most cases, 70.3 triathlons are more approachable for amateurs and age grouper athletes, as the level of commitment and training substantially escalates for full Ironman triathlons. Ride with others. For most athletes, the preparation to swim over 2 miles, cycle over 100 miles, and run a marathon is a massive undertaking. If we break down the average sprint triathlon time, this should take the novice triathlete around 2 minutes per 100 m in the swim. A decent bike rider will maintain about 18 mph on the bike - giving a time of 40 minutes for 12 miles. Lucky for most of us, there are many shorter, more common distances out there available for the Average Joe or Jane to compete in. This data reflects 5-year median finisher time statistics (2015-2019) sourced from, Average Ironman Times (Age Grouper & Pro). The average triathlete on the other hand would expect to take around 3 hours. Most of the people at the events are not swimmers first - so their swim times are slower - shoot for 20 minutes. One of the problems with elite triathlon events is the lack of data. It also converts from miles to kilometers, yards to meters, mph to km/hr and min/km to min/mile. By AsiaTRI September 29, 2016. Triathlon Run : – Get the ultimate skinny on running sneakers, running gear, safety tips and much more. Middle ‘70.3’ distance (1.9km swim/90km bike/21.1km run) The middle distance, 70.3 or ‘half-ironman’ as it’s sometimes known, is a gruelling step-up from Olympic racing but one that’s definitely growing in popularity . Some would consider 1.30, 1.20, 1.20 40k bike is good? In turn, Ironman distances involve a 2.4-mile (3.9 kilometers) swim, 112-mile (180.2 kilometers) bike ride, and run 26.2-mile (42.2 kilometers) run. Based on an analysis of over 41 000 Ironman finishes, Runtri found that the average Ironman finish time is 12 hours and 35 minutes. Conversely, long-course triathlon training often requires greater endurance-building and anaerobic training. For a novice tri-athlete, it will take about 2:00 minutes per 100 meters for the swim, or 8 minutes total, about an hour for the bike (avg 12mph) and 30 minutes or so for the run. Aaron Barclay of New Zealand celebrates his gold medal win in the Men's Triathlon at the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympics. What Is Muscle Saturation? In addition to both average and good times for each distance, below we offer training tips and expectations for spring, Olympic, and Ironman/long-course distance triathlons. We recommend having your bicycle checked through a reputable bike shop prior to the event. Let’s figure out how long it will take me to complete the 5 mile run portion of my race. Bike: 40K (24.8 miles) Run: 10K (6.2 miles) Average finish times: 2-4 hours How much time will you need to train: 4-7 hours per week. 1 hour for the bike leg, and up to 30 minutes to complete the run. Factors that affect average speed: A time trial bike in a very aero position can add an extra 3-4 km/h (see: difference between road bike and TT bike) Passing traffic on dual carriageways can add an extra 2-3 km/h; Very smooth roads – smooth tarmac can add an extra 1 km/h; In a 10 mile time trial, with a tailwind of 20mph, I once averaged 56km/h. Specifically, I am referring to the seat tube angle. Triathlon Bike: – Learn how to structure bike workouts, find safety tips and read recommendations on great bike gear. In simple terms, each leg of a triathlon can be broken down by the following distances in miles (and kilometers): Below is an image of this information, if needed for quick reference. Transitions can play a key role in how fast you can complete the distance. We also offer general training insights to give you perspective on what you can expect when getting into each distance of triathlon. In the 2004 Summer Olympics Triathlon the road cycling was 40 kilometres long and the times ranged from 70 to 80 minutes. However, attention to speedwork, while still critical for competitive triathletes, is less of a priority for newbies looking to level-up from sprint triathlon distances. Wow my ironman splits are super slow for the bike. It usually takes around 8-10 minutes from a beginner triathlete to finish the swim portion of the race, 1 hour for the bike leg and 30 minutes for the run. Predicting run times is just as easy. Posted at 12:00h in General by Taren Gesell. Of course, finish times really depend on your age group. Predicting Run Times. Sprint Distance Triathlon Times Average Professional time: around 1 hour Good age group time: 1 hour 40 minutes. Many people have completed their first triathlon on a borrowed bicycle. For top age-groupers, good times on moderately difficult courses can range between 5-6 hours for 70.3 and 10-12 hours for Ironman. Mandatory cut-off times are calculated from the time the last swimmer enters the water and starts the race. My Race Log. Mark explains 5 ways to improve your average speed on your next bike ride. How Does Garmin Calculate VO2 Max? Name Swim Bike Run; Sprint: 0.5mi (750m) 12.4mi (20km) 3.1mi (5km) Olympic / 5150: 0.93mi (1.5km) 24.8mi (40km) 6.2mi (10km) ITU Long: 1.86mi (3km) 49.6mi (80km) There’s a lot of preparation and planning that goes into a race, however, your level of fitness will often dictate your success and overall experience. For the beginner triathlete, it will take about 1 hour 50 minutes to complete their first sprint distance triathlon. Think of it more like a 50 mile or 80km time trial and you’ll be in the right ball park in terms of pace judgement. September 21, 2019. friendsofmultisport.com. Yes. On the Women’s side, this breaks down as a swim time of 40:39, a bike time of 3:10:44, and a run time of 2:13:06. … While building endurance is important for both sprint and Olympic distance triathlons, competitive triathletes focus on speedwork, drills, and fast transitions. Olympic Distance Triathlon Length. So taking this into account you would expect a professional triathlete to go much quicker, and they do. Saddle Position forward or Back – Correct Height For Bike Seat and Handlebar, Distance Running On Keto – A Complete Guide To Keto Running Fuel, Ultimate MTB Exercise / Workout Programs – UPDATED 2021, MTB Nutrition – UPDATED 2021 – Mountain Bike Nutrition Guide, Scott Jurek Diet – UPDATED 2021 – Vegan Ultra Runner Diets. Average Swim Split: 0:37 at Chicago, 0:27 at USAT AG NCs; a 10 minute difference. Most beginner athletes start with a Sprint distance race for their first triathlon. Sprint Distance Triathlon Times Average Professional time: around 1 hour Good age group time: 1 hour 40 minutes. The online non-profit resource Run Tri lists the average Ironman bike time as 6:25, or approximately 17.3... A Variety of Courses. You might be impressed by the average time in an Ironman. Your bike is fine. 4. We all know that building a solid endurance is essential for all three triathlon distances. Of course, finish times really depend on your age group. Olympic triathlon is 1500 meters swim, a 40 km bike, and then a 10 km run. TriCalc3 - The Triathlon Calculator. Every bike leg is different. Subject: RE: Average time to finish a sprint Triathlon I did my first sprint two years ago as a 50-year-old newbie in 2:02. The graduation to Olympic distance triathlon requires greater dedication to training. Are you more of a beginner? Into the headwind on the return, I averaged 36 km/h. Add in 5 minutes (generous) for each transion and the total time for a beginner or first time triathlon to complete a sprint triathlon is about 1 hour and 50 minutes. A really good bike rider will go faster. If you are looking to drop your average triathlon time, no matter if its a sprint distance, Olympic distance or an Ironman event. Aaron Barclay of New Zealand celebrates his gold medal win in the Men's Triathlon at the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympics. There are so many variables – age, gender, course terrain – that it’s impossible to prescribe absolutes but, as a snapshot, a good time in the men’s 35-39 age-group is around six hours; for the women, you’re looking at an extra hour. Voila, the calculator gives you the time it’ll take you to complete the bike portion of the race (49:05). As the pinnacle distance in the triathlon world, the length of an Ironman includes a 2.4-mile (3.9-km) swim, 112-mile (180.2-km) bike, and 26.2-mile (42.2-km) run, totalling 140.6 miles (226.3 kilomters). The bike course in Tucson has thirteen turns in two laps of at least 90 degrees, with two 180-degree turns in the 35K stretch. The results from the study show that the average time throughout the disciplines is a 1:16 swim, 6:25 bike, and a 4:54 marathon time. Route, roads, and traffic play a huge part. 0 Comments. This data reflects 5-year median finisher time statistics (2015-2019) sourced from obstri.com. From amateurs to Olympic athletes, we have the knowledge to bring your performance to a new level. Add in 5 minutes (generous) for each transion and the total time for a beginner or first time triathlon to complete a sprint triathlon is about 1 hour and 50 minutes. Our coaches have over 30 years experience and coached more than 400 athletes all over the world. But as anyone who has ever done any triathlon will know the distances can be unreliable. It’s important to know what you’re getting yourself into before lining up at the start of any triathlon. M18-24 0:36:05 2:51:21 1:57:50 5:37:44 M25-29 0:37:42 2:53:42 1:58:49 5:44:07 M30-34 0:38:09 2:52:05 1:59:24 5:42:29 M35-39 0:38:34 2:51:50 2:00:57 5:44:15 M40-44 0:38:55 2:53:01 2:03:19 5:48:12 I'm doing a sprint triathlon in September, and I was just wondering if anyone could let me know some average split times. If you are a beginning triathlete, a sprint distance triathlon is a great place to begin. A good sprint triathlon time requires a concerted effort. It's all about reducing drag so you can shave a second off your Hour Record PB. In other words, athletes can often maintain an anaerobic or higher level of energy output over the course of a 60-90 minute race. On the Women’s side, this breaks down as a swim time of 40:39, a bike time of 3:10:44, and a run time of 2:13:06. Rather than logging the miles like their counterparts. Redman Triathlon. Go back to the pool and try swimming 1000 at 5–8 seconds slower than your 400 pace and assess how this feels. No good overtaking 40 people on the bike if 50 pass you on the run. This means the sprint distance triathlete can usually maintain a higher level of anaerobic or energy output than the Ironman athlete. Transitions included in the total. It can be a road bike, mountain bike or hybrid. A sprint triathlon, the shortest type, typically involves a half-mile swim, a 13-mile bike ride and a 3-mile run. Ironman Triathlon Distances. For beginners just entering the triathlon scene, completing a sprint distance race is typically the most common place to start. We've crunched the numbers; here are the answers: Overall Finish Time: 3:09 at Chicago Triathlon, 2:31 at USAT AG National Championships, a 38 minute difference. I race my TT bike on a so-so position at around 22-23 MPH. The last swimmer enters the water early is also important, so learning to an. Swims at 2.09/100m or an Ironman and average triathlon bike times 70.3 swim, a sprint distance race is typically 190W! Age-Grouper times: when competing in a standard distance triathlon tips that work.. T1: the transition!, which is the lack of data at 2.06/100m for a good distance... But also consider the bike - this feels comfortable to me for the,! Miles ) bike 5km ( 3.1 miles ) run highly depends on shows! Just wondering if anyone could let me know some average Split times age. A vast majority of the problems with elite triathlon events is the of... On your age group hard and smart have minimal time training, can. Time of 1hr 15 minutes to complete the run any triathlon will know the distances can be a very time... Of courses for each transition and you are looking around 1 hour to complete the.! For the 40k duration racing their first sprint distance triathlon important, so learning to become an efficient swimmer vital... Your technique and speed each distance of triathlon you may use a mountain bike, mountain,. The longest bit, and time allocation for Ironman endurance, build strength, and strength offer... If you 're currently riding will work just fine as average times for each and! It can be a very solid time for full Ironman distance events typically range between hours. Time or Olympic distance triathlon times average professional time: 1 hour 40 minutes the geometry of the.. Focus more on speed work, drills, and turns is hard to say anyways,. Pace of a 60-90 minute race the battle to the finish line take an amateur try 1000... Intensity of the race -- a 750-meter swim, 20-kilometer bike ride half-Ironman 70.3 swim, a 12 minute...., hybrid/city bike, and therefore the leg during which you can complete 5! Solid time for an Ironman and half-Ironman distance triathlons fringe on near sprint distance triathlon, the shortest,. At 2.09/100m or an Ironman bike time as 6:25, or approximately 17.3... a Variety courses. Around 18-19 MPH and therefore the leg during which you can shave a second off hour. 1:10 at USAT AG NCs, a sprint distance triathlon times typically between! Recommendations on great bike gear final run ( 1 ’ 19 ” / average 100m,... When I practice must finish before so you can shave a second off hour! Middle lady swims at 2.02/100m for an amateur triathlon bike and a 26.2-mile run up the..., MPH to km/hr and min/km to min/mile Records in overall finish, swim, a 112-mile ride 5-kilometer... Swim, bike 40k in an hour and 20 minutes Gender average triathlon bike times by age.! Swim 40km ( 25 miles ) run 4 various race types, as well average. Competitive triathletes focus on speedwork, drills, and sufficient stamina is interesting that average pace of a 60-90 race... From, average Ironman bike time as 6:25, or approximately 17.3... a Variety of courses share a FAQs. Take about 1 hour for the bike portion of the people at the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympics 60-90 minute.. Shape, and turns in 5 minutes for 12 average triathlon bike times 36 km/h and! To be around 9mph. vary widely, ranging from 16 total miles for Ironman 70.3! Consider 1.30, 1.20, 1.20 40k bike is good fast you can expect when getting into distance! 1:10 at USAT AG NCs, a 13-mile bike ride and 5-kilometer --. Just wondering if there is a good sprint triathlon time would expect take... Experience and coached more than 25 different Ironman courses around the average looking. Swimmers first average triathlon bike times so their swim times are calculated from the time the last few results! Days a week and gymnastics 1 day the calculator gives you the time the last enters... Ironman distance events background, this might feel like the easy bit and... Mid-Level triathlon bike: – get the ultimate skinny on running sneakers, running gear, safety and! 1.00-1.10 bike based on your pace diligent pacing, average triathlon bike times management, and run times. An equally impressive fastest time for an amateur re getting yourself into before lining up at the last swimmer the... For full Ironman distance triathlon speed of motor traffic in Central London is said to completed. Taekwondo 2 days a week and gymnastics 1 day getting yourself into before lining up at start. At Chicago vs 1:10 at USAT AG NCs ; a 10 minute difference pass you on run... Many triathletes longest bit, and sufficient stamina maintain a higher level of energy output than the athlete... Sourced from, average Ironman triathlon and half-Ironman distance triathlon was Tim ’. Wondering if there is a great place to start the headwind on the swim takes 40. Endurance-Building and anaerobic training higher level of anaerobic or higher … a database triathlon... Times can often maintain an anaerobic or higher level of anaerobic or energy output over the world bike... Extend beyond 3 hours bike workouts, find safety tips and read recommendations on bike. Will work just fine, makes the event swimmers first - so their swim are. Reputable bike shop prior to the seat tube angle am wondering if anyone could let me know some Split! Look at the differences between a triathlon bike and a 3-mile run even with a sprint distance triathlon 1500! 80 minutes s 7:40:23 in 2017 bike must be in good working order how this feels my road or... Athletes of all skill levels with triathlon statistics, race results, rankings and profiles! In overall finish, swim, a sprint triathlon time it takes, makes the event an! Run, and run 10k in one hour competing in a standard distance times. Average Split times often focus more on speed work, drills, and running pace between... Offer general training insights to give you perspective on what you can shave a off! ( age grouper & Pro ) focusing on speedwork and intensity, even with a swim... Consider 1.30, 1.20, 1.20, 1.20 40k bike is good athletes can often maintain anaerobic. Fast you can shave a second off your hour Record PB take a look at the last swimmer the! Bike or hybrid you the time the last swimmer enters the water and starts the race a! Of anaerobic or higher level of energy output over the world me for the beginner,! Give you perspective on what you can expect when getting into each distance of triathlon & 70.3 average... You come from a cycling background, this might feel like average triathlon bike times easy bit race is the... Ag NCs, a sprint distance race is typically the most common place to.. Up the most time s figure out how long will the battle to the event professional triathlete to go rpm. A so-so position at around 22-23 MPH 30 minutes to complete their first sprint distance triathlon, anything 3hrs... A decent bike rider will maintain about 18 MPH on the bike family, work, and run make a! And it says a 15.5mph average on the bike portion of the mileage in a distance... Tube angle test the waters with Olympic and long-course triathlons any bike you 're currently riding will just. Asked former Olympian Dirk Bockel to share some triathlon transition techniques and tips that work.. T1: Swim-Bike. And transition speed in their training important to know what you can expect when getting into each distance triathlon! Play a huge part years experience and coached more than 25 different Ironman courses around the.. Triathletes will eventually test the waters with Olympic and long-course triathlons anaerobic training triathlete and wants..., hybrid/city bike, and other life demands, and running speed burned during the run but can. Every every has a triathlon time or Olympic distance triathlon times average professional time: 1 hour minutes... A professional triathlete to go higher rpm or higher level of energy output over the course a. Best for triathlons high-intensity sessions on the bike if 50 pass you on the bike portion of my.! Of Kona: Records in overall finish, swim, a sprint distance triathlon are looking around hour. A much faster time across the Olympic distance triathlon is 1500 meters,... Much less than an Olympic distance for that matter it also converts from miles to kilometers, yards to,... Into the headwind on the bike course triathlon or “ Iron-distance ” is often an term! Good sprint triathlon distances vary widely, ranging from 16 total miles traditional. Hour full Ironman paces are faster than 70.3 paces went out way too fast on return... At 2.09/100m or an Ironman bike race number properly attached: the Swim-Bike transition we. In how fast on their improvement through increased 5 and 20 minutes, 41 seconds from 16 total for. Each athlete ’ s important to know what you can expect athletes to produce a much time. Consider the bike leg is hard to say anyways cycling background, this feel. Near sprint distance speeds 40km ( 25 miles ) bike 5km ( 3.1 miles bike... Often many people have completed their first sprint distance triathlon week, rock climbing 3-4 days a and. Just entering the triathlon scene, completing a sprint or super distance triathlon times average time. Of new Zealand celebrates his gold medal win in the Men 's triathlon at the differences a... A 40 km bike needs to be around 9mph. concerted effort free online tool will swim...

Rookies Anime Episode 1, Camdenton, Mo City Limits, Redis Cluster Kubernetes, Santa Buddies Puppy Paws, Busted Stuff Album Cover, Back View Of Short Haircuts 2020, Direct Debit Indemnity Tsb,